What Does Math Look Like Throughout the Grades?
Click on a grade level to see a video of what students may be learning at that grade level.
- These videos focus on developing number sense and personal strategies for basic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
- Remember that students develop differently at different times. Learning for understanding takes time and thinking first, then practice.
- Students need to find the strategy that best works for their understanding.
- This strategy will develop and change over time to become more efficient.
- An effective strategy is one that the student understands and that works for the mathematical situation in which they are using it.
- It is important to work with objects, pictures, and numbers to develop number sense.